Erosion & Sediment Control Program
Conservation District Revises Fee Schedule for Plan Reviews
The Wayne Conservation District Board of Directors approved a revision of the Districts review fee schedule, for Erosion and Sedimentation Control Plan reviews at its March 13th meeting. The Board decided to remove the fee for review of General Permit for encroachments on waterways.
The District has been charging a fee for the review of Erosion Control plans, related to earthmoving activities, since 2004. The fees are used to offset the staff expenses for conducting the review and any necessary inspections. This is the first increase in fee since its inception.
Virtually all earthmoving activities in Wayne County require the development of a plan outlining the methods to control accelerated erosion and resulting sedimentation. In some cases a review of the plan is required and possibly a permit.
Sediment remains the number one pollutant of our nations waterways. If you are planning an earthmoving activity plan ahead by developing an erosion control plan and then implement that plan to protect our water resources.
Sediment pollution is the number one pollutant, by volume, nationwide. Small soil particles carry nutrients, pesticides and other material to streams and watercourses. Without proper erosion control checking this pollutant our streams, rivers and lakes will be degraded. The Wayne Conservation District has delegated authority from the state to oversee the erosion control program in Wayne County. Basically any site that has earthmoving occurring on it requires the development of an Erosion Control Plan. Some of the District activities in this program are:
• Aid in the development of Erosion & Sediment Control Plans.
• Review of Erosion & Sediment Control Plans.
• Handling complaints involving erosion and sediment pollution.
• Inspection of earth disturbances.
• Aid in permit processing.
• Conservation Planning
• Assistance on plan & design of erosion control facilities.
• Information on storm water management.
• National Pollution Discharge Elimination System permits for construction sites.
• Wetland information Links to related information.
Small Project Erosion Control
For small sites with minimal impact a guide has been created for developing and erosion control plan.